Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas in the City!

Greetings and Merry Christmas from New York City!
Short synopsis of my traveling so far

Left Sac at Midnight - the plane was so hot, everyone was asking for ice and water because we were all literally suffocating. Thankfully the flight was only 4 hours long. Boy was I ever glad to get off that plane.

Landed at JFK international 7:45
Got Luggage 8:20
Air Train 8:30
'A' Train into the City - Long time
Transferred to a local subway in the city and got off at the right stop....

Here's where my real adventure begins.
First I have to tell you that I rented an apartment here in the city instead of a hotel room because it was cheaper and in the area I wanted to stay in {Upper East Side}

Just imagine....One girl, Two suitcases {one 50lbs} walking alone down the street in the very cold winter weather of NY.
Without any trouble I found the street and building the apartment is. Well, I walked up to one of the doors, hauled both my suitcases up the front stoop and found out my keys didn't work. {Wrong Building}
I went to the next door hauled both my suitcases down the other stoop onto the next one, and Hey the doors just opened and I went right in! Happily I again hauled all my stuff up 3 flights of stairs and got out the keys....{this is really cool, I've done this all by myself, I'm in NY and I about ready to get into the apartment I rented!} ....the keys didn't work!
What!?!?!?! I went up to the fourth floor, nope didn't work either....Now what do I do?
Call to Misha's Dad who lives on Staten Island: "
Me: "Ben, the keys don't work."
Ben: "Don't worry call the guy who rented you the apartment and let him know whats going on."

Call to Adam:
Me: Hey I'm here at the apartment and the keys don't work. Am I in the wrong building?
Adam: "Probably, the apartment should have a 4R on the door and you'll know your in the right place."

Haul number four, down three flights of stairs and out the front door down the stoop and out back on the sidewalk where I started.
It's now been about a half hour and I'm sweaty and out of breath wondering where this silly apartment is! I look down and in between the two stoops that I just recently vacated is the correct door. Yes! I've finally arrived.
I get in and the key works to open the outside door. I go up and get to the apartment, {I carried my smaller luggage first} at the door once again the key fits and for the next five minutes I try to figure out how to open up the silly door. There are two locks that have to be opened but one has to be unlocked before the other.....so it took me a while to figure it out.
Finally I'm in! After getting in I went back downstairs and for about the fiftieth time hauled the fifty pound luggage up four flights of stairs and I literally dropped onto the couch with exhaustion.
Now, after getting cleaned up and out of my traveling clothes I'm writing this little saga to tell you to enjoy the time with your families this Christmas and give the gift of love to everyone you meet. You never know who around you needs something special that only you can give.
In about an hour I'll be seeing my Sister, Brother in law and my little niece and nephew. I would go through that entire trip again just to see my family and be with them because I love them so much!
Have a wonderful Christmas and spread the cheer! Seeing my family is the best Christmas present I could ever get!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

What and adventure!

Glad you found the right place and that you got there safe.

Somehow get some rest while you are visiting. You need it!!!!

James Wilder said...

Funny story isn't it :) Sort of sounded like the story in Pastor's sermon the other night. Love NYC. Of course it has a special place in my heart.

Chandra said...

I LOVE NYC! I LOVE SOHO! I LOVE THE EAST VILLAGE! I LOVE MANHATTAN! I LOVE THE SUBWAY! I keep my metrocard w me @ all times :o). Have fun!

Bettina said...

Wow! Girl sound exhausting just reading about it! he he! You are brave going there all by yourself!!! Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great story. You are right, hotels are super expensive and tiny in NY. Great idea renting an apartment.